Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Chanting from the heart

Good morning, MH!

What is it about chanting and prayer that creates such calm and focus? I grew up with traditional Catholic prayers; my favorite is probably the Prayer of Saint Francis. I even can remember "playing church" when I was little, with my little book of prayers and my sisters as the parishioners.

There are so many powerful prayers . . . so many ways to connect to God. Here are three that I listen to and recite as I connect with your little spiritual heart.

Heart Sutra
There is something about Zen Buddhism . . . perhaps it is its simplicity to which I am drawn. Sit and breathe. Sit and breathe and pay attention. If you go to a sangha (a sitting group), often the Heart Sutra is part of the chanting that happens within the sitting. My favorite part of the chant is the paradoxical "Form is emptiness; Emptiness is form."

Click through to the YouTube version for the Japanese sounds and the English translation.


Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
May all beings everywhere be happy and free. And may the thoughts and actions of my own life contribute, in some way, to that happiness and freedom for all.

It is important to remember that all that we say and do affects those around us, MH.



Chakra Opening
Chakras are considered to be energy centers along the middle of our bodies. There are seven chakras, described here, and they're in charge of certain properties in our bodies and minds. There are sounds associated with each of the chakras, and chanting them is supposed to open the energy channels. The one on which I'm focused as you prepare to enter the world is the root chakra, represented by the color red and the sound LAM.
MC Yogi makes the chanting fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment