Monday, July 30, 2012

Magic Monday

My friend Kristen sent this funny meme spin my way.

Good morning, Maybe Hazel!

One of my favorite fairytale movies of all time is Labyrinth. But, I don't think that I'll be able to share it with you for a few years. I probably ought to start paying attention to things like this:


That means, though, that most fairytale movies I love are more age appropriate for the elementary set: Princess Bride--8; Dark Crystal--7 (although, frankly, I found this film way creepier than any other movie mentioned here when I saw it at age 9); NeverEnding Story--8; My Neighbor Totoro--5 . . . so, it may be a while, especially if you're as sensitive to "scary stuff" as I am (which is to say, you get frightened for years by large Skeksis puppets who creep around stealing life energy from little Gelflings . . . my imagination gets the best of me).

Labyrinth and Dark Crystal share two creators that I adore: Jim Henson and Brian Froud (more on him later). Now, don't get any funny ideas about watching too much television. I'd much rather we are doing, rather than watching. I guarantee it's way cooler. BUT, on those rare occasions when relaxing on the couch is absolutely the best and only option, Jim Henson's creations aren't a shabby way to go. In fact, I'll have to hunt around for it, but I have a photo of Baby Me clutching two stuffed toys (my most favorite toys in the whole wide world): Bert and Ernie, two of Henson's muppet creations. Nowadays, Sesame Street is so huge that it has its own planet in the solar system, but his company was the originator. 


Magic is sometimes easier to feel when we can see it, and certain artists have a way of really making it come to life through film and television. In those moments when we both could use a little downtime, I look forward to sharing some of my favorite visual treats with you (age-appropriate, of course)!


2 comments:

  1. You're going to be the raddest mom EVER!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhh . . . those words are sweet music to my ears. Thank you for the support!

    ReplyDelete