Tuesday, August 21, 2012

I'm a kitty cat (and I meow meow meow)

Good morning, Maeby Hazel!

This video is really old, but it still tickles me.

I live with two old men. Well. Not men. Males. Of the feline variety. Siamese-ish. Not evil Siamese, though, like these pre-PC Disney demon cats (at least not most of the time):

I haven't seen Lady & the Tramp in years, but this clip doesn't make me feel too confident about it timelessness.

My oldest cat is named Humo. His name means "smoke" in Spanish, and I named him thinking that he looked a bit like a cat that had got caught in a fire. He is 14 years old. When I was a 5th-year senior at the University of New Mexico, I lived in a house on Lead with a couple of gals. One of those gals, Heather, had a long-haired gray tabby cat who gave birth to a bunch of Siamese-ish kittens (Thank goodness. It would have been really weird if she gave birth to dogs!). The kittens disappeared to their new adopted homes, and there were two remaining in our home. I had picked a very light, more traditional-looking Siamese, but nobody wanted the big-headed kitten that was left over (everyone thought there was something wrong with him). Heather's mom wanted a kitten, but refused to take the "weird" one, and my heart strings were tugged just enough that I let go of the fair one, and took big-headed Humo. I'm so glad I did. Despite turning into a grumpy cat for a number of years, he's been a peach of a companion. 

Then there's Pooka. Pooka was given to me as a gift 11 years ago. I named him after a very mischievous, shapeshifting fairy. When I first got him, I fed him the way I do Humo--that is, I just left out the never-ending bowl full of food (I'll probably have to change that feeding procedure, now that I think about it. I wouldn't want you to think cat food is a viable nutritional option). But Pooka kept eating and eating and eating . . . He would have eaten until his belly popped, I think! AND, he had really bad asthma. And bad teeth. And he might suffer from hallucinations. He's a hot mess. Despite putting him on a more disciplined diet, he's never lost that big ol' belly flap, and so when he walks, his belly swings gently from side to side. He's a love muffin and an attention diva.

Humo is the darker cat, and Pooka is is the lighter one. They sleep pretty much all the time. What a life. I hope they're content.

They might be a little bit afraid of you at first. When my nephews are over, the cats usually go into hiding under the bed. It might be confusing for them to be in a house that is now filled with all sorts of new noises. Usually, things are pretty quiet.

We're gonna be a most amazing, peculiar, brilliant, and beautiful family, MH. We're getting closer to meeting each other in person! Meow meow meow.

No comments:

Post a Comment